Re: Satellite latency

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Wed Feb 27 10:23:50 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 09:59:36AM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:17:37 EST, Jim Mercer said:
>
> > if you adjust the window size on the sending and receiving systems, you can
> > improve this, but this solution is impractical, as you would need to get
> > everyone on the internet (or at least all of the webservers and websurfers
> > you are servicing) to make adjustments to their local TCP stack.
> >
> > there are 3rd party solutions which can improve the throughput, but even
> > with those, there are still speed of light issues which will cause individual
> > throughput limitations.
>
> RFC1323 support is a 3rd party solution, or does it not solve all the problem
> here?

its been a while since i looked at it, but i seem to recall there was a lack
of implementation/adhereance to that RFC in windows TCP stacks.

i think for RFC1323 to be effective, it needs to be working on the sending
and receiving systems, not just the intermediary routers.

--
[ Jim Mercer        [email protected]         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          I want to live forever, or die trying.            ]