Re: Cisco PPP DS-3 limitations - 42.9Mbpbs?

  • From: Dave Israel
  • Date: Wed Feb 20 17:35:19 2002

The place where QOS always made sense to me is not where they want to
put it (and it's very apropos to the current conversation.)
Specifically, at the customer edge, as opposed to the provider core.

Some folks are always going to have higher bandwidth needs than money.
We can complain all we want about how, in a perfect world, everybody
should buy more bandwidth before queue delay and congestion are a
problem, but in the end, Generic Office X's communication budget is
probably for a single T1, which can either run VOIP or be channelized
into nxDS0 for phone and 24-nxDS0 for data.  In either case, it
doesn't take much legitimate traffic before you start seeing problems,
especially if you're doing VOIP, video- conferencing, web serving, and
Bob is sitting in his office listening streaming video and browsing
alt.sex.toasters.

And sure, it would be nice if people were responsible and didn't use
bandwidth frivolously, but we're in the real world, and when people
won't behave, the system should have the option of trying to do the
right thing.  So, at the edge, you prioritize voice over streaming
media over web over news over mail, and everything behaves acceptably.
*That* is where QOS really shines.  For some reason, though, nobody
wants to sell it there.  Must be more profitable to sell 'em a bigger
line.

-Dave