RE: Cisco PPP DS-3 limitations - 42.9Mbpbs?

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Wed Feb 20 11:34:08 2002

If you are just doing testing, then sending a stream of UDP echos across,
using something like a Digital Lightwave is the easiest way of testing,
provided your target system will take the traffic (this is a good way to
crash most windows boxes, for example). PPP and HDLC both have very little
in the way of overhead. The same can be said for c-bit framing. You should
be getting something like 96% efficiency, which gets you to the 42.9mb/sec
number. PPP has something like 7 bytes of overhead per frame. Various forms
of DS3 framing are discussed here:
http://www.dl.com/ResearchCenter/Training/t3/t3fund.pdf.

ATM, for comparison, will usually max at around 36mb/sec for a DS3. YMMV of
course, and in actual operation, due to peaks and 5 minute sampling, you
will see lower bit rates.

- Daniel Golding