Reviewer Request: "The Art of Peering - The Peering Playbook"

  • From: William B. Norton
  • Date: Wed Feb 20 11:06:12 2002

Hi folks -

I walked about 15 ISP Network Architects and Peering Coordinators through this latest draft of the white paper "The Art of Peering : The Peering Playbook", and I now have presentable draft that I'd like to share with a slightly broader set of interested folks (preferably Network Architects and Peering Coordinators).

Here is the Abstract:
------------------------------------------------------- snip ------------------------------------------------------
Internet Service Provider (ISP) Peering Coordinators were interviewed over the past few years for the "Interconnection Strategies for ISPs", "Internet Service Providers and Peering", and "A Business Case for Peering" Internet Operations Research papers. In these previous works, we documented the commonly used terminology (Peering, Transit, Transport, etc.), the motivations, the financial justifications and the process of peering.

In "The Art of Peering" we build upon this foundation and present tactics that Peering Coordinators have used to obtain peering where they otherwise might not have been able to obtain peering. We have identified 17 specific maneuvers that vary from mundane to the clever, from merely deceptive to manipulative. In sum, these tactics represent the "Peering Playbook", the current "Art" of Peering.

If you can help and have the inclination to read it (about 10 pages) and comment, please send me e-mail: [email protected]

Thanks -

Bill

PS - Thanks to those who helped with the last paper "A Business Case for Peering". If I didn't send you the latest (version 1.3) send me e-mail and I'd be glad to email you a copy. BTW - The latest version of "Internet Service Providers and Peering" is 2.4 and that is available as well.

William B. Norton Co-Founder and Chief Technical Liaison Equinix
[email protected] 650.315.8635