Re: NSI/VeriSign propogating incorrect DNS glue records

  • From: Derek Balling
  • Date: Sat Feb 16 15:21:01 2002

At 10:45 AM -0800 2/16/02, J.D. Falk wrote:
On 02/16/02, Derek Balling <[email protected]> wrote:

 Move the domains elsewhere (e.g., if NS1.EXAMPLE.COM is bogus, move
 EXAMPLE.COM elsewhere). Once you do that, NSI isn't in charge of
 *.EXAMPLE.COM glue records any more, and you can have your new
 registrar correct them - in most cases, quite quickly and easily.
	Unfortunately, if you have other domains registered with
	that same nameserver then NSI may hold onto the host record
	and not let go for MONTHS.
They can keep a host-record hanging around in their database 'til the end of time for all you care. The only registrar who can send EXAMPLE.COM glue-records up the chain is $NEW_REGISTRAR, and that's all that matters.

I've got a host record hanging around in NSI's database for "NS1.MEGACITY.ORG" for about two or three years since I left NSI. It has an address that is about three years old, and the IP address only reflects "reality" because I think they got tired of me constantly bitching about it to them that it looked hokey when NSI-hosting domains[1] that USED ns1.megacity.org had the wrong IP address in their whois record (but that didn't matter because the glue still had the right data)

[1] friends' domains, not mine. I wouldn't touch NSI with a 3m cattle-prod.
--
| [email protected] | "Thou art the ruins of the noblest man |