Re: Reducing Usenet Bandwidth

  • From: Stephen Stuart
  • Date: Mon Feb 11 23:50:21 2002

> >Some of those problems in that vein that appeared insurmountable ten years
> >ago might have solutions in current "peer-to-peer" networking technologies
> >(thus the off-hand comment about Napster).
>
> What you're really asking for is a NNTP-over-FastTrack (Kazaa/Morpheus) feed
> object. This is sort of/really an odd idea, but if you think about it, all
> the required parts are pretty easy to articulate in skeleton form:

I honestly have no idea what I'm asking for when you start
substituting names of real things that could be used to implement
this. I recognize "NNTP," though. :-)

It sounds like you're on the right track; is there a way to keep the
existing distribution system for posting to per-site configurable
groups from sites that fit some per-site configurable profile of
article properties (fewer than X per day, size less than X, etc.)?

Stephen