Re: Reducing Usenet Bandwidth

  • From: Stephen Stuart
  • Date: Fri Feb 08 18:49:17 2002

> What USENET needs is a distributed system for collection of per-article
> and per-sender ratings, and for filtration based on those ratings.  That
> would be useful for other applications, as well :)

I would argue that what USENET needs is a way for the cost of
publication to be incurred by the publisher; storing the data in your
own repository (or repositories) while pointers get flooded through
the USENET distribution system would give publishers an incentive to
do garbage collection that they do not have today.

It would almost be like gluing a USENET distribution front-end onto a
collection of Napster back-ends.

Stephen