"Tier 1 Backbones" which don't filter IP packets? --SUMMARY

  • From: Ehud Gavron
  • Date: Fri Feb 08 13:11:42 2002

On January 27th, while pimping the latest NANOG Traceroute at
ftp://ftp.login.com/pub/software/traceroute/beta I asked about
providers that don't administratively prohibit LSRR and SSRR
packets.

Response was overwhelming, and I've finally gone through all
the responses.  Requests for summary were overwhelming, and
I've BCCd all of those who requested that, but thought I'd CC
the list since there's such interest.

Thanks for all the feedback, especially those who took the time
to provide official responses from the various corporations...
and I'm sorry I couldn't respond to everyone individually.

Ehud

LSRR and SSRR SUMMARY:
Some providers REQUIRE it for peering.
Lots of providers ALLOW it from customers and peers.
Only one was verified to deny LSRR/SSRR and admit to it.

There is a good work in progress page at
http://www.gweep.net/~crimson/networks/lsrr.html

REQUIRE: (alpha order)
Genuity  [verified]
RCN [from URL above]