multicast resources (Re: Reducing Usenet Bandwidth)

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Sun Feb 03 20:05:47 2002

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 03:00:03PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Jared Mauch <[email protected]> said:
> > 	The problem is that the "tier 2" and whatnot providers have [mostly]
> > missed the boat on it and don't have people that are able to configure
> > their routers for mbgp.  (this is not to say all but most).
> >
> > 	There are a lot of resources for getting help in fixing and
> > deploying multicast these days.  It'd be nice to see more people turning it
> > on.
>
> Okay, I'm with a (decent sized, although probably small by NANOG
> measures) ISP.  Why do I want to turn on multicast (what does it get me
> that I don't have today)?  And if I want to turn it on, where can I find
> the resources you mention?
>
> These are meant as honest questions (not intended as rhetorical or
> argumentative questions).  I want to understand why I should do this.

	As a sprint customer, you can start to turn on pim
on your igp interfaces, set your routes for nlri unicast multicast
as well as your bgp sessions.

	here's a pointer to sprint webpage:

http://www.sprintlink.net/multicast/faq.html

	Verio customers can contact me for the support/request address
(want to keep it out of the list archives to reduce spam and
also incase it changes).

	This is also not a endorsement of Multicast Technologies but
they have some info here: http://www.multicasttech.com/faq/

	There are a lot of other resources out there.  I suggest
doing a few searches in google/yahoo and you can find some.

	- Jared