Re: Reducing Usenet Bandwidth

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Sat Feb 02 15:29:18 2002

	There were people that did multicast injection of usenet
then it deencapsulated the news and fed it to rnews.  What happened
is that a number of people migrated to Cyclone/Typhoon and other
news transport software that did not allow this (easily).

	(most) major providers have multicast avaiable to customers and
internally.  The people running the news servers just need to create
a delivery method that allows the articles to be passed around that way
and all will be taken care of.

	The disadvantage is that it would potentially allow spammers
to inject massive amounts of articles and servers would
have to reject them based on some filtering criteria or just
get the multicast access removed for such a customer.  I actually don't
see them being that bright so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

	- Jared