Words should be redefinable at all (not)

  • From: Joe Rhett
  • Date: Sat Feb 02 13:45:19 2002

> People should be free to define these terms as they see fit,
> with no central authority defining what is what (and I don't
> think there should be).

Those first 12 words are the bane of everybody who actually gets work done.

No, regardless of the fact that Americans (myself included) feel the need
to redefine words that had perfectly good and clear meanings in the first
place (myself not included), having a variable and subjective vocabulary
means that succinct, objective discussion is nearly impossible.

There are dozens of papers written on this topic, some dating back over a
thousand years. Scientists have long gotten past this battle. Learn from it.

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
[email protected]                                      ISite Services, Inc.