Re: Fwd: SlashDot: "Comcast Gunning for NAT Users"

  • From: David Charlap
  • Date: Fri Feb 01 10:42:26 2002

"Eric A. Hall" wrote:

> I'm not sure how I got put into the position of defending their
> possible practices. I've already said that looking for NATs as a
> practice isn't a good idea.

Sorry 'bout that.

>    THE SERVICE IS FOR PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY AND
>    CUSTOMER AGREES NOT TO USE THE SERVICE FOR [...] ANY BUSINESS
>    ENTERPRISE, OR AS AN END-POINT ON A NON-COMCAST LOCAL AREA
>    NETWORK OR WIDE AREA NETWORK, OR IN CONJUNCTION WITH A VPN
>    (VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORK) OR A VPN TUNNELING PROTOCOL;

Here's their out against NATs.  They are prohibiting use "as an
end-point of a non-compast local area network".

So, if you have a LAN, and you didn't purchase each and every IP address
from Comcast (presumably also the one for your printer, and any other
non-public devices you may have), then you're in violation.

They want to be in total control of your home LAN or they'll cry to
mother, take their ball and go home.

-- David