RE: SlashDot: "Comcast Gunning for NAT Users"

  • From: Mike Joseph
  • Date: Fri Feb 01 00:05:48 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Vivien M. wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, was this an ISP in Ithaca, NY or nearby? (The
> description seems to match someone we've done business with there)
>
> Vivien

Oh, it's not limited to a single ISP.  It never was.  I fail to see why
people are arguing about "unlimited" as a marketing term.  The fact is
that all providers will use vague language to attract customers and then
redefine those terms in their TOS and contracts.  It's the nature of
business.  What needs to be addressed is the product itself.

In this case, the cable internet service is what Comcast or any other
cable provider defines it to be.  If they wish to limit their product to
exclude NAT/firewalls/multiple computers/etc, that's their decision.
They need to, however, make that policy known.  I wholeheartedly disagree
with the practice of some ISPs (including cable companies) to target
"power-users" who don't fit the traditional, undisclosed mold and drop
them.  The ISP business is about figuring out what your average customer
will use, budgeting a little extra, and hoping they don't use more.  If
they do, you MUST increase capacity to support them.  If this means taking
on additional costs and passing these costs off to customer, so be it.

Unfortunately, without competition in the cable market, unfair business
practices will continue.  And without other high-speed options open to
many, they will have no choice but to buy cable internet access and
conform to the rules, both written and unwritten.

-Mike

|  Mike Joseph          |    Netaxs, Inc.       |
|  Network Engineering  |    ~~~~~~~~~~~~       |
|  [email protected]   |    www.netaxs.com     |