[no subject]

  • From: Jim Shankland
  • Date: Thu Jan 31 11:29:07 2002

Andy Walden <[email protected]> writes:

> ... reading through Commcast's AUP doesn't reveal this policy
> either. I think it was largely trollbait.

Could be.  But AT&T Broadband out here just resent its terms of service
with the monthly bill, and stated that it's strictly prohibited to
attach more than one device to the cable service.  They reminded
their customers that a second IP address is available for an extra
$5/month.

I suppose one could get lawyerly and argue that you *are* attaching
a single device -- the NAT box -- to their network; other devices
are merely attached to the NAT box.  But I don't think that was their
intent.

Whether this pricing model is enforceable aside, it is also in direct
conflict with the projection that some day soon, the refrigerator, the
hot tub, the stove, the stereo, the room thermostat, the garage door
opener, etc. will all be IP-addressable.  I'll be damned if I'll spend
an extra $5/month for my refrigerator to surf the web, and I'll bet I'm
not alone :-).

Jim Shankland