Fwd: SlashDot: "Comcast Gunning for NAT Users"

  • From: Martin J. Levy
  • Date: Thu Jan 31 10:55:04 2002

I got this forwarded to me.  I'm not impressed.

Based upon the general desire for providers to have NAT'ed users and to reduce IP-space usage where appropriate, does this make sense?  I can understand the providers desire to increase revenue, but I don't believe this is a good way to do it.

Besides the technical difficulties of detecting a household that is running a NAT'ed router, why not win over the customer with a low-cost extra IP address vs: the customers one-time hardware cost for the router.  There are people who would be willing to pay some amount monthly vs: (let's say) $100 for a NAT box.

Does anyone know what percentage of home broadband users run NAT?  Does anyone have stats for IP-addresses saved by using NAT?

Martin