Re: DNS DOS increasing?

  • From: Joel Baker
  • Date: Tue Jan 22 14:22:31 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:21:16AM +0100, Sabri Berisha wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Joel Baker wrote:
>
> > BGP isn't expensive. Buying swamp space so you can DO it reasonably is.
>
> Last time I checked IP space was not assigned based on cash. If you have a
> good reason to use PI space other then your PA space, RIPE/ARIN/APNIC will
> assign it to you.

What is officially approved of by the technical bodies, and what actually
happens when money gets involved and people find a need to get around such
bodies and are willing to pay to accomplish it, are two quite different
things.

Your statement is, however, not accurate. An *accurate* statement would be
"If you have a reason they consider good". And even then, that doesn't get
you out of the various filters across the net.

Non-filtered IP space is a commodity which has been made valuble by the
actions of some people with clout, as a consequence of the actions they
take to protect their networks. Like any valuble commodity, people WILL
find a way to aquire it for enough money.

The gray market is most assuredly alive and well - and there is more than
one way to play the shell game with ARIN/RIPE/APNIC to cover the facts of
what you're doing, if you're in the market.

Even if there wasn't - how much do you think it would take to bribe someone
at ARIN? I'm sure that for *enough* money, you could manage it. They're
only human. It would just raise the cost. After all, lots of folks still
have a /8 - I would just *love* to see the RFC 2050 for justifying that.
[email protected]              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/