Re: traffic filtering

  • From: Jake Khuon
  • Date: Mon Jan 21 18:30:28 2002
  • Action:
  • Dcc:
  • Expires:

### On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:01:44 -0500, Jared Mauch <[email protected]>
### casually decided to expound upon Stephen Griffin
### <[email protected]> the following thoughts about "Re: traffic
### filtering":

JM> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 05:53:16PM -0500, Stephen Griffin wrote:
JM> >
JM> > I'm curious about how many networks completely filter all traffic to
JM> > any ip address ending in either ".0" or ".255".
JM>
JM> 	they will have problems reaching people who are now using /31s
JM> on links that cover the last /31 and first /31 of the /24 that they reside
JM> in.

I guess depending on where one places the filter (and to whom it is
applied), one could argue that this is a good thing.  It does make
troubleshooting a bit pesky however.

I once moved a router and forgot to reconfigure the IP address on its serial
interface.  Most "everything" worked fine and didn't discover my mistake
until I was troubleshooting my VOIP tunnel. |8^)

--
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- |