RE: DNS DOS increasing?

  • From: Curtis Maurand
  • Date: Mon Jan 21 14:45:43 2002

Except that everyone complains long and hard about BGP advertising /24's or
smaller.  I know a small operator who's setting up a webhosting company.  He's got a
single T1 and a /25 for now, but as soon as he gets multi-homed ( and plans that in
the next year or so) with a different provider.  He'll have the need to run BGP at
that point will advertise the /25 or a /24.   Numbering requirements and name based
hosting as is highly recommended by ARIN will be the cause.

The short answer is that small companies will start advertising small blocks in the
name of address conservation.  We either give out addresses willy nilly or we allow
the announcement of small blocks and stop complaining about it.  You can't have it
both ways.

Curtis