Re: Growing DoS attacks

  • From: Tom Sands
  • Date: Wed Jan 16 13:44:30 2002

    We have anti-spoofing filters applied, however apparently a large number of
ISPs obviously still see them as unnecessary.  The attacks are a combination of
spoofed and real IP's.

    The trend there seems to be that if the attack is high PPS but low
bandwidth, the majority of those are spoofed.  Now a recent trend has been lower
PPS (increased size) and high bandwidth.  The ones that we have been able to
track successfully are coming from real sources, and have indeed been due to
things such as nimda.

    There have been several instances of people that were caught doing this
against us with approximately 1000 - 1500 servers under control via nimda, but
being able to notify the owners of all those servers is next to impossible.

--
Tom Sands
Chief Network Engineer