need routed configuration help

  • From: Alex Melkomukov
  • Date: Tue Jan 15 19:17:11 2002

Hello everyone.

I'm not sure if this is the correct list, but I was informed that this list is where all of the routing experts can be found, so I am sending this plea for help to this list.

Basically, I need to confirm some configuration information and make sure I've set up everything properly. I am seeing some very strange behavior and need to rule out local misconfiguration as the cause. I am not a routing expert, so I need confirmation.

We had to configure a customer's server to function in a co-location facility (not of our choosing) that has a gateway IP address that is outside of the locally defined network block (Class C).

The OS is FreeBSD 4.4. I did some digging and discovered that I needed to enable 'routed' and create some static routes to the gateway IP outside of the local network block to be able to reach the Internet.

I uncommented the

defaultrouter="5.6.7.1"

entry (IP has been changed to protect parties involved) in the rc.conf file and added the

router_enable="YES"

entry. I then added the following entries to the rc.local file:

route add default -interface 1.2.3.100 -netmask 255.255.255.252
route add -net 5.6.7.1 -interface 1.2.3.100 -netmask 255.255.255.252
route add default 5.6.7.1

I came up with these routes by trial and error, and am not convinced that these are the correct entries to use.

I can reach the Internet and the nameserver (which is also outside of the local network block), and can ping and traceroute without any problems.

But,... every once in a while certain programs start timing out and/or take a really long time to respond (to the point of failure due to time-out on the other end). Some of these programs are telnet, ssh, ftp, radius.

Other programs/protocols (such as http traffic) do not display the same behavior.

So, I am seeking advice on how to configure static routes correctly and/or if some other issues may be causing this strange, intermitten behavior.

Please let me know if I implemented this incorrectly...

am
Alex Melkomukov [email protected]
Navi.Net http://www.navi.net
618 NW Glisan St., Ste. 101 voice 503-517-8866
Portland, OR 97209 USA fax 503-517-8868