Re: Adoption of MPLS in the Enterprise

  • From: Eric Osborne
  • Date: Thu Jan 10 19:57:25 2002

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 10:40:18PM +0100, Jesper Skriver wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 09:40:02PM -0500, Lee Watterworth wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > MPLS has been in use at providers for a number of years.
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with MPLS adoption at the enterprise level?  For
> > what reasons was it deployed?
>
> The same reasons service providers do it - offer multiple L3 networks on
> the same physical infrastruture, also known as MPLS L3 VPN's
>
> At least that's the deployments I've seen.

Another thing I've seen is enterprise customers moving towards traffic
engineering.  In my experience (which is mostly with ISPs), there tend
to be two kinds of enterprise customers - those whose core network
works like an ISP and therefore is asked to provide all the services
an actual commercial ISP would, and those whose core network gets far
less attention than it should.

The latter folks are at least talking about TE, mostly because often
the budget for more links just isn't there.  Of course, in general
enterprise customers tend to move far slower than service providers,
so it may be too early to say what's going to happen.

eric