Re: Does NSI's domain update web site ever work?

  • From: ¨°şİ[Queen Vamp]İş°¨
  • Date: Tue Jan 08 17:51:05 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Schulte" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>; "¨°şİ [Queen Vamp] İş°¨" <[email protected]>
Cc: "nanog" <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 9:39 AM
Subject: Re: Does NSI's domain update web site ever work?

At 04:17 PM 1/8/2002 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, [iso-8859-1] ¨°şİ[Queen Vamp]İş°¨ wrote:
>We went through that last year.  The domain name was > 3 months past
>expiration, and I finally called NSI and got kicked up the food chain to
>someone "in legal".  I was told that "NSI will not release expired domain
>names for other to register unless the name is intentionally transferred by
>the [ex] owner of the domain".  And there at lay, until the name we had
been
>trying for 3 1/2 months to register was mysteriously registered by
abovenet.

The only way I've found to reliably get an expired domain was to use the
services of snapnames.com.  Sure enough, a domain had been expired for
months, yet could not be registered.  Looking through NSI's site (they
didn't respond to email or voice mail) I found this:

http://www.netsol.com/en_US/help/domain-names-reg-09.jhtml

'Many factors may cause the "expiration date" to vary from the eventual
date of deletion.'

Could they possibly be more vague?

Snap names was eventually able to secure the domain, but it took a month or
two of waiting for it to actually be deleted from NSI's database.  Ironic
that NSI even pointed right to snapnames when I did the initial
registration search?  Hmmm...  They seem to want a cut of every domain
transaction possible.

Yeah, I had actually considered that but wasnt sure on the "effectiveness"
of yet another money spinning exercise.
*sigh*
Looks like I might have to take the plunder and pay them to do it. I
currently have the domain being watched by the free component of snapnames.

ta