Does NSI's domain update web site ever work?

  • From: John R Levine
  • Date: Tue Jan 08 12:48:03 2002

Dunno how operational this is, but it sure is a pain in the butt.

I have a .com domain that I would dearly like to remove from NSI's
clutches.  In a moment of poor thinking a few years ago I registered it
through Worldnic, so its email address is [email protected],
making it impossible to transfer since there's no address for the new
registrar to ask whether the transfer's OK.

No problem, I still have my account number that NSI assigned me in 1999, I
can log into their web site and update the email address.  Except that
every single fricking time I try, it says:

	System is temporarily unavailable. Please try back later.

It's been saying this for months.  It worked for about 30 seconds last
month, enough to pay them $35 to keep the domain alive, but I wasn't able
to get back in to change the address.  In the past I'd have let it expire
and reregistered it the next day, but nowadays the vultures will beat you
to it.

E-mail requests asking when it'll be working again are sometimes ignored,
sometimes answered three days later with boilerplate telling me that I can
update my info through their wonderful web site.  (I think this is known
in the CRM biz as "excellent" service.)

So is there any hope?  Do I need to get a pizza and rent a couple of
movies and camp by the phone while I wait on hold or what?

Regards,
John Levine, [email protected], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Write for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47