Re: Blocking Internet Gaming

  • From: Neil J. McRae
  • Date: Mon Jan 07 05:03:54 2002

> Does anybody know of any good software or way to restrict Internet gaming on
> a corporate Network?

I don't think that there is a good way, there are several options:

a: Try and filter the ports completely you can nail 80% of gaming this
way but there are risks you break other applications.
[also if its a few folks on the same LAN playing quake, then you'll
find it very difficult to stop].
b: Use some type of rate limiting on high ports to limit the bandwidth
so that the games are unplayable.
c: Restrict the ability to plug in computers or modify the desktop so
they can't install games to play.

and one that I heard I think on the list in the past:

d: Try and find someone doing it and fire them. The hysteria around it
will prevent anyone from even thinking about playing games. Ugly, but
effective.

e: Allow them to do it under controlled circumstances.  After hours,
at weekends etc.

Regards,
Neil.
--