Re: gps time server problems ?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Jan 02 07:52:21 2002

Yes, I exchanged e-mail with an operator in Auckland about it
yesterday when I noticed some of the NTP clocks stopped chiming.

Only TrueTime brand clocks seem to be affected, but there doesn't
seem to be a clear answer what version or type of firmware has
the problem.  Some clocks jump forward 1024 weeks, even though
they report the same software version as clocks which don't jump.

It took me a while to figure out what was happening because Solaris 8
has a kernel tick adjustment bug causing the clock to run out of
control on certain models, so NTP was going crazy trying to discipline
the runaway clock.