RE: Automated DLR conflict detection

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Dec 30 23:49:50 2001

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, James wrote:
> In my Cisco classes, I learned a lot about routers and networking as
> whole, even more than I knew prior.  Real world applications, like
> recovering from a lost enable password (You would not believe how many
> people configure a router then "forget" the enable password) are taught.

How do you recover a password on a Juniper router?

I think the CCIE and cisco training is wonderful.  I took the CCIE lab
and passed configuring all sorts of protocols like X.25, DECNET, and LAT
which aren't included in the lab anymore.  It is very good at teaching and
testing vendor knowledge, like recovering a lost password.  I just don't
understand how a having a CCIE is related to operating a Juniper network.

Neither Juniper nor Cisco gives credit for certification by the other.  If
you want to skip the first level support, you need that specific vendor's
certification.  Both certifications are designed so you must know the
specific vendor's equipment in order to pass. If you have a Juniper
backbone I would expected a HR department require a Juniper Certified
Internet Expert.

Do so few Juniper Certified Internet Experts exist that companies are
forced to hire CCIE's instead of JCIE's?  Would I be better getting a
JCIE because there are rarer?  I noticed several CCIE's rising to defend
their certification, but not a single JCIE.