Re: microsoft

  • From: Tim Wilde
  • Date: Sat Dec 29 15:27:10 2001

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Christopher A. Woodfield wrote:

> What you're seeing is MS using Akamai's Edgesuite service. Basically,
> www.microsoft.com CNAMES to www.microsoft.akadns.net, which resolves to
> the "closest" Akamai server to the source IP on the DNS query. That box
> caches the content from the *real* www.microsoft.com, and serves it up.
> Nice concept, and a helluva lot easier to implement on the end user side
> than FreeFlow, IMHO...

No, I'm pretty sure that this is a third distinct service, not EdteSuite
or FreeFlow - I know it as nothing but AkaDNS, it probably has a "real"
name - if you traceroute to those servers, you'll see that they're actual
Microsoft servers.  Look at that, versus, say, www.segway.com, which is on
EdgeSuite:

www.segway.com.         3600    IN      CNAME   www.segway.com.edgesuite.net.
www.segway.com.edgesuite.net. 21600 IN  CNAME   a1758.gc.akamai.net.
a1758.gc.akamai.net.    20      IN      A       209.185.188.10
a1758.gc.akamai.net.    20      IN      A       209.185.188.107

Notice it's on edgesuite.net, not akadns.net.

Tim Wilde

--
Tim Wilde
[email protected]