Re: Automated DLR conflict detection

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Sat Dec 29 06:19:37 2001

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 04:32:08 EST, Sean Donelan said:

> How can you perform due dilegence on a carrier?  With a car, you
> can open the trunk and check the spare tire.  What is the best way
> to check a spare circuit?

How do you know it's a <insert vendor> field engineer trying to fix a
flat tire?  He keeps swapping tires till he finds the flat one...

Make sure your testing procedure *really* tests the actual spare circuit,
not something else's representation of one.  I know one poor soul who
wrote software to monitor-via-ping the other end of a point-to-point,
then watched in horror as a co-worker accidentally removed the entire
DSU from the rack, unwilling to say "Wait, that's the wrong one" because
the monitor hadn't burped an error.

Guess who's network was basically a triangle? ;)

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst