Re: OT: Lost job? Need help? NANOG Recruiting BOF!

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Tue Dec 18 11:44:03 2001

Jake Khuon wrote:

> ### On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:21:27 -0500, Timothy Brown
> ### <[email protected]> casually decided to expound upon
> ### [email protected] the following thoughts about "OT: Lost job? Need help?
> ### NANOG Recruiting BOF!":
>
> TB> that are in this boat like I am, it might make more sense to network
> TB> with each other - as a result, i'd like to start a recruiting BOF for
> TB> people in the NANOG circle.
> TB>
> TB> I'd like to suggest as a starting point that interested parties looking for
> TB> a job send mail to me privately with a brief overview of your qualifications
> TB> and a link to a place for your resume.  I'll create a webpage and mailing
> TB> list with this information before the holidays, and i'll send a summary to
> TB> nanog containing the relevant information for both employers and candidates.
>
> While I appreciate the efforts involved in bringing together people and
> employers (I too have been unemployed due to recent layoffs), I would
> caution us to distance this from NANOG as it does not fit the charter of
> NANOG.

Hmmm... Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  Keeping the quality people on
the net on the net and able to keep the net humming is definitely, in
my opinion, a Network Issue requiring Coordination, under the current
circumstances.  As such, I think this is at least a gray area.  Besides,
NANOG is a community.  NANOG BOFs cover things that may or may not be
within the NANOG charter, but which impact the NANOG community.  As
such,
I think it's entirely appropriate to a BOF.

Owen
(One of the lucky few that hasn't been RIF'd yet)

> --
> /*===================[ Jake Khuon <[email protected]> ]======================+
>  | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- |
>  | for Effective Bandwidth Utilisation  / |/  [_ [_ |) |_| N E T W O R K S |

"Every time you turn on your new car, you're turning on 20
 microprocessors.  Every time you use an ATM, you're using a computer.
 Every time I use a settop box or game machine, I'm using a computer.
 The only computer you don't know how to work is your Microsoft
 computer, right?"
        - Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun Microsystems, Inc.,
          from an April 1997 interview in Upside Magazine

"One World, One Web, One Program." - Microsoft Promotional Ad
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein F�hrer" - Adolf Hitler