Re: "Cisco Release Of Goner Worm Raises Eyebrows" (Newsbytes)

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Fri Dec 14 21:05:07 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:25:40 PST, "..." said:

> He does bring up an interesting point though. Is there ANY legitimate
> reason to allow ANY file attachments through nanog ml?

Yet another attack on multipart/signed.  Geez. ;)

> I can't imagine any legitimate reason for someone to send a file
> attachment to EVERY single nanog ml member. A URL pointer to a file would

MIME attachments are not the problem.

The problem is people who insist on using mail software that fails to
address the security considerations of executable content.

Compounding the problem are people who insist on confusing "problems with
executable MIME attachments" with "problems with all MIME attachments
because one vendor ships a product that will execute anything that
resembles ones and zeros more than my goldfish does".
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst