Carrier Exchange at SONET layer (Re: new NAP in St. Louis?)

  • From: Lane Patterson
  • Date: Wed Dec 12 18:53:41 2001

LayerOne is primarily focused on carrier-to-carrier, which is traditionally
accomplished by private SONET interconnects at Carrier hotels or ILEC
facilities.  The "private peering" fashion of these interconnects is
technically suboptimal, and recently obsolete with massive broadband DCS
products like Ciena Coredirector that can make carrier interconnection
much cheaper, more scalable, in much less footprint.

But...

private SONET interconnects fit the business strategy just fine, as carriers
are just as aggressive as any ISP at letting business issues drive interconnect
and claiming lack of space or other provisioning issues for stonewalling
requests they don't want to answer.

running type-2 circuits thru a neutral-run DCS places alot of trust in that
point, whereas SONET ADM-to-ADM private interconnects are nicely distributed
and therefore a failure has minimal impact.

Cheers,
-Lane