Re: Open Source BGP-router?

  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
  • Date: Tue Dec 11 10:19:07 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 02:26:30PM -0500,
 Stephen Griffin <[email protected]> wrote
 a message of 24 lines which said:

> Of course, it is possible to only offload the best-path computations, and
> keep non-PC routers for packet forwarding. This in much the same way
> as the current route-servers operate. For IBGP, route-reflector

Actually, Juniper routers work exactly that way (the BGP computation
is done on a separate processor, which is a Pentium).

I would like to see packet forwarding cards for PC (with suitable
documentation to write the Linux driver): it would allow to build
"poor man's Junipers" with only free software.