blocking peer-to-peer filesharing programs

  • From: dani-post
  • Date: Mon Dec 10 14:50:55 2001

I realize this may be a touchy subject.  For legal purposes I'll state that I'm making these inquiries as an academic excercize, as well as to enable me to block peer-to-peer programs on my own personal home network. The last thing I'd want to do is rob anyone of their free speech or "rights" to distribute illegal copies of copyrighted material.

Anyway... I'm interested in developing and studying comprehensive firewall and content-filtering techniques for disabling peer-to-peer filesharing applications (e.g. those using gnutella, fasttrack, other napster-style directory and download engines or stacks).  If anyone knows of a mailing list / user group that has similar interests, or if you have similar interests, please email me off-list.

Thanks all.

- Dani