Re: Network Operations Luminaries?

  • From: Clayton Fiske
  • Date: Mon Dec 10 14:18:57 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 10:18:48AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:

> I don't have a timeline to know which happened first; 2551 was down, or at
> least the majority of it was, for something on the order of 48-72 hours.
> The rendition I heard assigned the moniker because one of the major news
> outlets said that the mistake which triggered it was "like a misplaced
> ampersand". It was certainly the one on the wall beside his legacy Chevy's
> sombrero.

My oh my, how the versions differ.

As was recounted to me, the outage was about 19 hours, and was due to
the semantics of Cisco config mode. Something like:

router ospf 1234
redistribute bgp subnets route-map blah

(everything fine, now let's turn it off...)

no redistribute bgp subnets route-map blah

So tell me, does this turn off the redistribution, or just remove the
route-map... :)

And this is certainly worth remembering. Had I not known of this, I
could likely have made the same mistake at some point.

-c