Re: USGS returns to the Internet

  • From: Patrick Greenwell
  • Date: Sun Dec 09 21:52:40 2001

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, David Lesher wrote:

> > A judge *ordered* the DOI offline.
>
> I disagree. Read the order.
> <http://www.indiantrust.org/rulings/2001.12.05_TRO.pdf>
>
> It only talks about systems with Indian Trust data not the home
> page server. I think it's fair to assume a PHB panicked over
> [his,her] tail being locked up by His Honor; and ordered
> ALL servers down.

Rather than play tit for tat, here's what the relevant portions from the
TRO state:

"Further ordered that defendants shall immediately disconnect from the
Internet all computers within the custody and control of the Department of
the Interior, its employees and contractors, that have access to
individual Indian trust data."

I have no personal knowledge of the DOI's infrastructure, and unless you
do, I think we're all left to speculate as to whether or not the "home
page server" of the DOI had access to the Indian trust data. My
speculation would be that it does if it's Internet connected...

As you say, YMMV. :-)