Re: Network Operations Luminaries?

  • From: Simon Higgs
  • Date: Fri Dec 07 18:15:57 2001

At 07:12 AM 12/7/01 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:

business management is in more need of luminaries as the business failure
rate is orders of magnitude higher than the internet packet drop rate.
You make it sound like the music industry. :-) Most labels are similar to business incubators in that they sign 10 new artists a month and end up dropping 9 of them because they didn't manufacture the "hit" they were looking for. Business failures are common. In the last few years, when the number of ".COM" start-ups drastically increased, there'll be at least a proportional increase in failures. This is normal. More people try, more people fail/succeed.

I think the point I'm trying to get to here is that if you want industry "rock stars", you're asking for self-serving self-publicists who don't have the industry's best interests at heart (cough... ICANN). If you want that from the "geek" community, you should just put Kashpureff and Vixie in the ring on WWF and publish the results as a BCP. ;-)

Best Regards,

Simon

--
(A)bort, (R)etry, (T)ake down entire network?