Re: Network Operations Luminaries?

  • From: Miles Fidelman
  • Date: Fri Dec 07 12:20:18 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Petr Swedock wrote:

> With regards to Peter Drucker... his sagacity lies in a deep
> understanding of the history of his field and long observance
> of such (some sixty years!).  Jack Welch is hype.  I don't

True, re. Drucker. Jack Welch is a bit more than hype - General Electric
is a heck of a business success story (even if some of its environmental
practices have been questionable). Not too many companies have quite the
track record of GE - and Welch was clearly behind a lot of that success.
He's also trained a lot of people.

> think we're in an equivalent place in the history of our field
> where any-one can, definitively, say, either from long study
> (Drucker) or manufactured hype (Welch),  what works best, or
> -perhaps more importantly-  what underlying misconceptions
> and mistakes fuel operations on a daily basis

there are probably a lot of lessons that can be extracted from other
operational contexts - electric operations, air traffic control, emergency
response, military command and control

Miles

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
[email protected]	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"