Re: Network Operations Luminaries?

  • From: Miles Fidelman
  • Date: Fri Dec 07 10:50:12 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Pete Kruckenberg wrote:

> Though I can name off several 'credentialed' network
> engineering gurus and the 'bibles' of network engineering, a
> recent discussion about the source of network operations
> 'best practices' left me speechless, and curious.
>
> Who is/are the network operations equivalents of people like
> Peter Drucker and Jack Welch--people who are looked at not
> only has role models for operations success, but as
> luminaries in the industry for having established and
> educated the masses about best practices?

A very intersting question. I too can think of people, books, and
practices that lay out best practices for network design, but not
operations. [One can argue that if those practices are followed,
operations becomes simple - but, as we all know, that 's not the case].

I can also think of a few people who can be considered luminaries as
regards network security - Cliff Stoll, Mark Eichin and Jon Rochlis, and
more recently, the CERT organization.

But for general operations, your statement seems to hold true:

> Most network-oriented training seems to focus on the
> technology, not on operations (and those subtle but ever so
> critical differences between knowing how something is
> /supposed/ to work and how it /really/ works, and all of the
> effort it takes to create a smooth-running operations
> engine).
>
> What are the network operations equivalents to business
> programs such as Six Sigma? What about something similar to

I recall a lot of very good people from my days at BBN, and we certainly
developed a lot of internal policies and procedures - particularly for our
government customers, who tend to insist on such things. I expect there ar
also a lot of people, policies, and procedures hidden within various
carriers, ISPs, and corporate IT/networking departments - but a lot of
that doesn't get visibility, at least in part because carriers tend to
consider such things to be proprietary information.

We really do need such information.

Miles Fidelman

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
[email protected]	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"