Re: Followup British Telecom outage reason

  • From: Neil J. McRae
  • Date: Fri Nov 30 17:33:10 2001

> I have not seen anyone note that all major vendors are usually focused on
> revenue from new sales and that maintenance income is seen as a bonus. While
> new sales are driven by being able to compete with the next vendor, new
> features will always be prioritised over stability.

Actually I think in recent history the opposite is true. Anyone remember
the 11.2 and 11.3 [and non 11.1CC] days? Cisco had huge issues
with IOS stability, and its was around about this time that juniper
and a few less successful others appeared. Cisco changed something
and things got significantly better - I'd look at that as revenue
loss prevention :-).

Regards,
Neil.