Re: a question about the economics of peering

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Fri Nov 30 14:08:35 2001

> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:52:28 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
> From: Alex Rubenstein <[email protected]>

> Essentially, he said that paying more for peering that for
> transit is typical, and to be expected, and most people accept
> this.

<sarcasm>
And paying more for dialup than OC3s is typical, and most people
accept this.
</sarcasm>

Does this salesdroid even know WTH peering and transit provide?
Sorry, I just don't seeing anyone with a modicum of sense paying
more for a few thousand routes (with little or no redundancy,
depending on peering arrangements) than a full table with a fair
amount of redundancy.

At the risk of overgeneralizing, it sounds like he's fresh out of
cableco school.  I once contacted a couple of cable companies re
peering... and they wanted to charge more than transit.  They
considered it "priority service" and thought there'd be no
benefit to them.  Ungh?

I mentioned this on a mailing list (isp-whatever? inet-access?
NANOG?) a while back, and someone else responded that s/he'd had
a similar experience.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence