Re: MPLS in metro access networks

  • From: Eric Osborne
  • Date: Fri Nov 30 08:14:46 2001

> However, the proponents of MPLS based networks stress things like
> it's reliability, speed and simplicity, over existing, pure IP
> network designs.

We do?  Not all of us...:)

Reliability?  I've never heard claims that MPLS is any more or less
reliable than IP.  Certainly there's fast reroute mechanisms so that a
failure can be worked around pretty quickly, but we're talking about a
failure at a lower level (link failure) or a box/LC failure (crash).
The MPLS software implementation from a given vendor should be as
reliable as the IP software; there's nothing fundamentally different
in MPLS that makes it easier to code, or inherently bug-free or any of
that stuff.

Speed?
Back in the early days, it was thought that a 20-bit label lookup
would be faster than a 32-bit IP DA lookup.  With the advent of fast
hardware switching, this turns out not to be true.  Speaking as I can
for only one vendor, I can tell you that anyone from my company who
claims MPLS is substantially faster at a switching lookup than IP
needs to be beat with a clue stick.

It turns out, on some platforms, that imposing a label stack is a wee
bit slower than switching an IP packet and that swapping a label is a
wee bit faster than switching an IP packet, but "wee bit" means
something in the area of a few percent.  And this does not apply to
all platforms.

Simplicitly?  Possibly.  It might be argued that no longer needing BGP
in the core makes your network simpler.  But IMHO a BGP-free core in
and of itself is not enough of a reason to deploy MPLS.

The things I think MPLS buys you are:

- traffic engineering for your core - being able to forward traffic
down a path other than the one your IGP would select, in a more
granular method and less error-prone fashion than other tools to do
such (static routes, GRE tunnels, juggling link costs, etc)

- ability to carry edge services (L3VPN, L2VPN) across your network.
And there's some QoS benefits in here, too, since you have a
hierarchical set of labels.

MPLS is not the *only* way to do these things, but what it can do has
proven useful to lots of people.

> My point, is that it is certain not faster, not any
> simpler, and, for many, has been considerably less reliable. I
> reiterate that the point of implimenting MPLS is to be able to
> provide the services it enables (of which, TE is a great example,
> along with VPNs).

Absolutely.  Let me also add that reliability tends to correlate with
maturity and deployment, so you'll only see existing implementations
get better over time.

> Of course, different levels of perceived reliability may be due to
> different depths of MPLS implimentation. A design consistint of fully
> meshed, explicit TE tunnels would probably be pretty reliable, by
> this point. A network with many L2VPNs and RFC2547 VPNs running over
> LSPs instantiated by LDP, might be less so, depending on the
> platform.

I think I agree with this.  It's not that LDP is inherently any less
reliable than TE, but that with FRR one can protect against
lower-level failures.  I think I prefer "availability" over
"reliability" in this context, since that takes into account TE's
ability to avoid some congestion that LDP (following the IGP path)
can't.

But that's just me.

eric