RE: Followup British Telecom outage reason

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Thu Nov 29 20:16:06 2001

Realtime stuff is not only about process rescheduling times.

The definition of real-time system is: a system which can guarantee
execution of tasks within specified time limits.

I've seen a real-life real-time system with guaranteed reaction time of
two hours (it was controlling irrigation water gates).

For routers, the "real-time" limits one needs is in 0.1 second-range;
making a system like that from a general-purpose OS is certainly doable.

--vadim