Re: bgp geopolitical analysis (warning: zero operational content. or so.)

  • From: k claffy
  • Date: Thu Nov 29 17:03:57 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 09:33:05AM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

  At 06:45 PM 11/27/2001 -0800, k claffy wrote:

Hank:

  Very nice.  But:

  1)
  http://www.caida.org/analysis/geopolitical/bgp2country/data/source_add_pre_as.txt

  ZA has the 3rd highest prefix count at 2700.  Why does South Africa have
  such a high prefix count?

(1)  there are more users in .za than you might expect
(2)  many of its prefixes are small, so it doesn't reflect
     number of attached hosts

  2) 4th place is "??".  Can you eloborate on that line?

that means ASes for which we couldn't comfortably
map to a country.

(k's rule: `the second or third biggest category
of anything on the Internet is `unknown'')