Re: how many roots must DNS have before it's considered broken (Re: ISP network design of non-authoritative caches)

  • From: Simon Higgs
  • Date: Tue Nov 27 04:47:13 2001

At 01:09 AM 11/22/01 -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
I found an archive of NAMEDROPPERS going back to 1983.  If you are
interested in the subject, or just want to know how we got here, its
an interesting read.

Anonymous FTP at ftp://ops.ietf.org/lists/ in  1983, 1984, etc.

If you don't know the past, you are doomed to repeat it.  Even though
I disagree with some of them, I understand some of the decisions a
bit better.
There are also some specific mailing lists such as newdom, where Draft Postel was hashed out. Due to various circumstances, the list moved a couple of times. There is an archive here (zip, gz, & mbx format):

http://www.iahc.org/mail-lists.html

Also there's the iahc-discuss mailing list, which unfortunately has been censored (between Jan 28, 1997 and May 14, 1997) because of the highly negative response to the IAHC's final report - i.e. the formation of eDNS on the IAHC mailing list:

http://www.gtld-mou.org/gtld-discuss/mail-archive/

One of these days I'll get the shared-tld list archive online.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
(A)bort, (R)etry, (T)ake down entire network?