Re: Followup British Telecom outage reason

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Mon Nov 26 19:21:18 2001

--On Monday, 26 November, 2001 11:43 AM -0500 "Christopher A. Woodfield" <[email protected]> wrote:

I'm referring to the _vendor's_ support costs - as in, you don't need as
many people in the TAC if people don't keep running into IOS bugs; you
don't need as large of a RMA pool if the hardware is more reliable, etc.

As the vendor would most likley decline to pass these savings along to
the customer, I would see this as a profit opportunity for the vendor.

1 well known vendors enjoy publishing to their victims^Wcustomers
just how often they use their support channel, in order to provide
justification (large usage) for the large support invoices they send
in each quarter. To be fair, one of the above (at least) has now
worked out it's a good idea to break this out by support request
type.

Alex Bligh
Personal Capacity