RE: win95 and IEAK6.0

  • From: Vivien M.
  • Date: Wed Nov 21 16:21:54 2001

Are you sure that you would WANT to run IE 6 on these machines? The requirements for IE6 seem identical to the requirements for Win98, which you can find at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q182/7/51.ASP (someone alread posted the requirements for IE6)

I know I've tried IE_5_ on a machine that's barely below these minimum requirements on Win95, and... well, let me put it this way: the 14.4 modem in that box was no longer the bottleneck. I have trouble believing that IE6 (or even IE5) would acceptably on a <P100, and if you have a P133+ I would think you can run Win98 just fine if you turn off active desktop (and then again, I'm not even sure anyone enables Active Desktop even on a 1900+ Athlon XP)

Vivien

P.S. I don't know where you are, but in my general area (Ontario, Canada), you can buy refurb P166s capable of running Win98 for about $90CDN, or about $60USD (probably less than that, since the exchange rate sucks so much these days). Makes me wonder how much my nice 486 is worth these days... probably less than a box of donuts!

--
Vivien M.
[email protected]