Re: MPLS in metro access networks

  • From: Eric Osborne
  • Date: Thu Nov 15 18:37:13 2001

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 03:21:31PM -0600, Quibell, Marc wrote:

> My only contentment was the fact that w/o cef or other proprietary
> mechanisms or even with them, mpls, provided it is supported on all
> enterprise routers and switches (cef and others are layer 3), mpls is both
> layer 2 and 3.

I think there's some confusion here.  Where does it say that CEF is
proprietary?  CEF is just a way to do a lookup on a destination IP
address.  At its heart it's an mtrie; ask any computer science
undergrad to tell you how long mtries have been around.  other vendors
have similar schemes.

cef is also not a cache.  cache implies things that enter and leave as
they are used (a la fast switching or ram<->disk swapping algorithms);
cef does not do that.  cef only inserts/removes prefixes from the fib
based on a routing table (rib) change.

it also happens to be true that the lookup component of cef (mtrie for
IP packet destination addresses) have nothing to do with the lookup
for a labeled packet.  the reason cef has to be enabled is that the
act of enabling cef sets all sorts of things like switching vectors
and other useful gunk on an interface that are a prerequisite for mpls
forwarding.  cisco is trying very very hard to move away from caching
schemes for ip forwarding; they don't scale.  if we had our druthers
(no snide comments from the peanut gallery, please!) there would be
nothing be cef out there right now.  the other IP-DA lookup mechanisms
no longer make sense.  note that they *did* make sense when network
hardware space (memory) was at a premium and routing tables were
smaller/less variable than they are today.

> MPLS can be implemented on switches not capable of analyzing network
> layer packets (thus no cef).

again, confusion.  mpls can be implemented on vendor's boxes other
than cisco, thus no cef there as well.

> In the overall network scheme with complete MPLS configuration, this
> is where I can see the speed increase. You speak of cef and the fpc,
> yet each router hop would have to process it's own forwarding flow
> setup, and then of course use it's own express "routing table".

it's debatable whether the word "flow" makes sense here, either.
certainly traffic flows from one point to another, but don't get
labels confused with flows in the Netflow sense; something that comes
and goes based not on routing table, but on actual traffic.

> Even in this instance MPLS, having only to setup the flow once by
> labeling it at the first hop, need not go through other express forwarding,
> proprietary, algorithms. This instance in itself would increase lan/wan
> speed, at least IMO.

Nope.  It turns out that a 32-bit DA lookup and a 20-bit label lookup
are pretty much the same speed.  It of course depends on your
implementation, but in general the label lookup and the DA lookup are
the same speed, or very close.  It was originally thought that mpls
would increase forwarding speed, but that was several years ago, when
we didn't have the hardware abiities we do today.  The thing mpls buys
you is that you seperate the properties of your traffic from the
routing of your traffic, so you can carry VPN (overlapping ip
addresses) and non-IP traffic across an IP backbone scalably.  This
also gets you TE, where you forward traffic without regard to IP
destination address, which lets you use paths in your network other
than the one(s) your IGP chooses.

> You may call this negligable, but that of course depends upon the
> overall volume of traffic and processing. I also must note that
> traffic engineering should be included with the MPLS setup.

traffic engineering is not done on demand the way you seem to imply.
TE LSPs are set up according to a traffic matrix or other such
administrative concern, and typically have a lifetime of hours to
days.  and of course, MPLS != MPLS-TE; LDP's setup works differently,
although I must reiterate that RSVP does not cause delays for packets
going through the network.

Having said that, the only case when the fact that you use MPLS-TE can
cause delays is when a TE LSP goes down and you have to drop packets
until you can fall back to IP routing or build another LSP.  But
MPLS-TE has protection mechanisms that minimize this packet loss, and
do a much, much better job at reducing loss than IP can.

eric