RE: MPLS in metro access networks

  • From: Quibell, Marc
  • Date: Thu Nov 15 16:24:40 2001

My only contentment was the fact that w/o cef or other proprietary
mechanisms or even with them, mpls, provided it is supported on all
enterprise routers and switches (cef and others are layer 3), mpls is both
layer 2 and 3. MPLS can be implemented on switches not capable of analyzing
network layer packets (thus no cef). In the overall network scheme with
complete MPLS configuration, this is where I can see the speed increase. You
speak of cef and the fpc, yet each router hop would have to process it's own
forwarding flow setup, and then of course use it's own express "routing
table". Even in this instance MPLS, having only to setup the flow once by
labeling it at the first hop, need not go through other express forwarding,
proprietary, algorithms. This instance in itself would increase lan/wan
speed, at least IMO. You may call this negligable, but that of course
depends upon the overall volume of traffic and processing. I also must note
that traffic engineering should be included with the MPLS setup.

Marc