RE: Photo Op: You too can have your picture taken with a.root-servers.net

  • From: Larson, Matt
  • Date: Thu Nov 15 10:27:37 2001

Chris Woodfield wrote:
> IIRC, Verisign operates every gtld-servers.net server,

That's correct: VeriSign Global Registry Services operates the name servers
and ancillary equipment at all 13 com/net/org name server sites, which are
distributed throughout the world.

> Does Verisign use the same hardware and OS on all of these
> servers, or are the vendors distributed?

We are in the process of diversifying all aspects of the com/net/org name
server constellation: name server software, name server hardware and OS, and
network hardware and OS.  Our goal is to eliminate the possibility of a
single hardware or software defect affecting all the sites.

Matt
--
Matt Larson <[email protected]>
VeriSign Global Registry Services