Re: BGP Route Damping

  • From: Pete Templin
  • Date: Tue Nov 13 13:12:10 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, German Martinez wrote:

> Perhaps this document was already discussed (I'm new in this list).  If it
> was please let me know.  Basically, I wanted to get an opinion from US
> based ISP about this document.
>
> Does somebody know how Tier-1 networks implement route damping ?
>
> Here is the document:
>
> http://www.ripe.net/docs/ripe-210.html

I can't speak for any large networks, but I will say that you need to
adjust a portion of that configuration to actually achieve dampening of
/24s and longer.  In:

route-map graded-flap-damping permit 20
 match ip address prefix-list min24
 set damp 30 750 3000 60

you will need to change the numbers in the final line, as there is a
fundamental equation that needs to be followed:

2x(max-suppress/half-life) must be greater than (suppress/reuse).

So you'll need to increase either the max-suppress (60) or the reuse
(60), or decrease the half-life (30) or the suppress (750).

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr., CCNP, CCDP
Networking Consultant

On-Line Internet Services - URDirect.net
A division of Global On-Line Computers
5606 Randolph Blvd		[email protected]
San Antonio, TX 78233		(210)477-7603